Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lemon Broccoli

We love this side dish--it's probably our favorite way to eat cooked Broccoli.  I think Eli could eat the entire thing himself.  It's fast and delicious!  I can't remember where the recipe came from but I think I got it from a weight watchers book from the library or something.

Lemon Broccoli

1 bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 lbs)
5 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Cut the broccoli into spears discarding the thick end.  Bring 3 inches of water to a boil in a large pot.  Place the broccoli in a steamer basket and add to the pot; steam until crisp tender, 3-4 minutes.  Remove from the pot.

Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  When the butter foams, add the lemon juice and cook for 30 seconds.  Add the broccoli, lemon zest, salt and pepper; cook, tossing, 1-2 minutes until the broccoli is well coated.  Serve with grated cheese, if desired.

(I don't think we have ever eaten it with the cheese and sometimes if I don't have fresh lemons on hand, I just use bottled lemon juice.  It isn't as good but still works fine)

No comments: