Monday, August 27, 2012

Whole Wheat Pancake Mix

(This is an old picture, but the same pancakes)
Pancake/Waffle Mix

6 cups of wheat flour
1/2 cups dry milk
1/3 cups baking powder
4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar

Mix thoroughly and add 1 cup of either shortening or oil. The shortening has to be cut in, the oil requires a Kitchen Aid or Bosch in order to incorporate it at a high speed. (I stir the oil in with a whisk. It looks scary at first, but it turns into a dry mix. If you pick a handful up and squeeze it, it will form to your hand, but it is very crumbly and dry.)

I then put the entire mix into an empty #10 can and store it in the refrigerator. (I use a hot cocoa can, I always seem to have an empty one of those laying around!) The mix does need to be kept in the fridge because of the oil.

To make the pancakes: To every one cup of mix add 1 egg and 1/2 cup water (and some vanilla if desired).
I have this part written on the lid of the can so I don't forget. (It says 1 cup mix, 1/2 cup H2O, 1 egg.) That way even Jason can mix it up.

To make the waffles: To every one cup of mix add 1 egg and 3/4 cup water.

We LOVE this recipe. It is entirely whole wheat, but it is delicious. My kids will eat as many of these pancakes as I can make. I have even had to get the mix out and whip up another cup of it because they ate up all of the first batch (or two).

No comments: