Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grilled Chicken with Avocado, Tomato, and Corn Salsa

While on vacation, we ate a lot of good food and I didn't bother to watch what I was eating. Now that we are home, I decided it was time to get back to eating some healthy things. I found this recipe a few years ago and loved it. It came from a magazine, I don't even remember which one. It is fresh and delicious.

Grilled Chicken with Avocado, Tomato, and Corn Salsa

Salsa:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
1 large ripe tomato, diced
1 cup thawed frozen or canned corn kernels
1/4 cup each chopped red onion and cilantro

4 skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves (about 5 oz. each) * I only used two chicken breasts and split one with Mike and the other between the three boys.
1 tsp dried oregano
4 cups shredded lettuce (I didn't use this much)

1. Salsa: Mix lime juice, oil, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss gently to mix and coat. (I actually only mix half of this with the salsa and then saved the rest of the lime juice mixture to pour over the lettuce. Next time I will probably just follow the recipe.)
2. Heat outdoor grill, ridged grill pan or broiler.
3. Season chicken with oregano, salt and pepper. Grill 3 to 4 minutes per side until cooked through.
4. Divide lettuce among 4 plates; top each with chicken, then salsa.

No comments: