Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lemon Cream Torte

I have been making a lot of cakes because of my cake class. I want the cake to taste as good as the decorations look. I got a book from the library--101 things to do with a cakemix--and found this cake. We love it! If you like lemon, this is the cake for you.

Lemon Cream Torte

1 pkg. white cake (you could also use a lemon cake mix)
3 eggs
1 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 Tbsp lemon zest

Filling

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 cups whipping cream

Mix the cake just as you would a normal cake mix. Pour mix into round 8 in cake pans (or 9 in works fine too). Bake at 350 degrees (the recipe calls for 350 degrees but if you want it more moist bake it at 325). While the cake is baking, whip the whipping cream until it comes to a peak and then mix the other ingredients in as well. After the cake cools, place the filling between the two layers of the cake. Frost the cake with the remainder of the filling.

Note: I made some changes to this but only minor changes. I cooked it at 325 degrees. When the cake came out I needed it to be flat so I took my hot pad and hit the top of both cakes until they were flat--this works, trust me. Instead of frosting the cake with the filling I frosted it with the buttercream icing I need for my cake class and put some lemon juice in the buttercream frosting. Oh, they also called for four layers. They cut each cake in half. I did not need it that tall so I did not cut them in half.

No comments: