Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Black Beans

My friend in Oklahoma married someone from Louisiana. They moved down to New Orleans to go to school and then moved to Oklahoma to go to Dental school. We were lucky enough to be fed by them a few times. They can make some really fantastic food. I have two recipes from them. I'll only post one today because I don't have a lot of time.

Black Beans

1 can Black Beans
1 can chicken broth
garlic powder
onions
Tony Chachere's creole seasoning

Drain and rinse beans. Put beans in pot with chicken broth just covering beans. Add onions (if desired), garlic powder, and Tony's. Boil for 30 minutes.

We are making this recipe this week and I'm really excited. I used to hate beans of any kind but recipes like this make me happy to eat them. Eating beans is such a great way to be healthier. Bri's husband gave us a tip: If you are making beans in a pressure cooker instead of using canned beans, you want to take half the beans and blend them so you have a nice, thick pot just like they make in New Orleans. I'll post their gumbo recipe another day.

No comments: