Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter dinner

We had a very nice Easter dinner. We made a ham, yummy potatoes, watergate salad, devilled eggs, and asparagus. For dessert we had cupcakes. I have only had asparagus a few times and I've only made asparagus about twice. Honestly, the first time I had it I was scared. But they were pretty good. Mike requested aparagus for Easter and I figured since he has requested them a lot that I better make them. Since I'm still a little uncertain about asparagus I decided to see if I could find a really good recipe. I found one that had 748 reviews with 4 1/2 stars, which was the highest rating and the most people rating it. It was good! It was a tad salty so I'll put a little less salt next time but I was very happy to find a recipe that was good. Here are some recipes (some of you have the potato recipe already). What did you all have?

Yummy Potatoes

6 medium potatoes, par boiled
1/4 c. butter
1 pt. dairy sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/3 c. chopped green onions
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 c. crushed cornflakes
2 T. melted butter
*I always find that the 1/3 c. cornflakes and 2 T. butter is not quite enough to cover the top. I think I just like more on top then it calls for.

Cook potatoes until tender, cool, peel, and grate666666. Heat the butter with cream of chicken soup until melted and stir until blended. Blend sour cream, onion and grated cheese into soup mixture. Mix well. Mix with potatoes in a 9 x 13 in. baking pan. Combine crushed cornflakes with 2 T. melted butter and sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Watergate Salad

1 pkg. (4 serving size) Jello-coconut cream instant pudding and pie filling
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained (I don't think I've ever used a 20 oz. can and it tastes just fine)
1 c. miniature marshmallows
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 3/4 c. thawed Cool Whip topping

Stir pudding mix, undrained pineapple, marshmallows, and pecans in large bowl until well blended. Gently stir in whicpped topping: cover. Refrigerate 1 hour or until ready to serve.

Garlic Asparagus

1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed

Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook garlic in butter for a minute, but do not brown. Add asparagus, and cook for 10 minutes, turning asparagus to ensure even cooking.

2 comments:

The Duke said...

We had the same potatoes, but I learned a trick from Chelsey - use frozen hashbrowns rather than going to all the work of cooking and then grating the potatoes. I actually like the potatoes this way because the potatoes don't disintegrate when you mix it all together.
We had the potatoes, spiral baked ham, a nice tossed salad, raspberry/Cool Whip Jello salad (with raspberries from our garden last year) and Funfetti chocolate cake.
Ummmmm.... I'm glad you put the asparagus recipe on because I've never cooked it since Jim won't eat it. However, if it's cooked well, I like it. I'll give it a try.

Together We Save said...

Yummy potatoes! Sounds like you had a really nice meal. My family did too. We all love the eggs my mom brings.