Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Best Blueberry Muffins

My friend Ann Rodman introduced me to these amazing muffins.  We love them.

Best Blueberry Muffins (for high alt.)

2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1 cup of fresh blueberries (frozen can be used, but increase baking time about 5 min)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare muffin tins or use liners.  In large bowl, beat eggs with a mixer at low speed.  While beating, slowly add sugar, then slowly add oil and vanilla.  In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.  Mix flour mixture and sour cream alternately into egg mixture, 1/3 at a time.  Gently fold in blueberries.  Spoon batter in to muffin cups.  Top with streussel.  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Streussel

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter

Combine flour and sugar then cut in butter until crumbly.

My notes:  I recently made a batch to freeze and I put in about 1-2 TBS of ground flaxseed and also instead of using 2 cups flour I put in about 1 1/2 cups flour and then 1/2 cup wheat flour.  It was still super moist and delicious.  Next time I might increase the wheat so it is half white half wheat and see how we like that.  So for a healthier option, try the flaxseed and wheat.

No comments: