Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Creamy 5-Cup Fruit Salad

I am always looking for new fruit salad recipes. The boys didn't like this one as much (the didn't like the sour cream) but both Mike and I liked it alot. We tried it with and without the coconut and liked it both ways but we both agree that you don't really need the coconut. I don't feel it adds a whole lot to it. It's a super easy, fast recipe. I found it off of one of my favorite cooking blogs. We have tried a number of recipes from this blog and have liked every one so far. I just cut and paste this directly from her blog.

Creamy 5-Cup Fruit Salad
from melskitchencafe.com

*Serves 4-6 as a side dish

1 (10-ounce) can pineapple chunks (about 1 cup), drained
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges (about 1 cup), drained
1 medium apple, cored and chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup grapes, halved
1/2 cup sour cream, light or regular
1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut

Combine the fruit in a large bowl, tossing well so the apple (and other fruit that likes to brown) can get coated in the pineapple and orange juice to prevent browning. Stir in the sour cream and coconut, gently tossing to coat. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours prior to serving to allow the flavors to meld together. Serve chilled. You might notice that after a day or so of sitting in the fridge, quite a bit of liquid from the fruit pools at the bottom. If eating the leftovers, I like to gently pour some of this off before eating.

Recipe Source: adapted from my sweet and wonderful mother-in-law, Diane G.

No comments: