Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Banana and Vanilla Pancakes

We tried these pancakes and they were great. It was just a nice change from the normal pancakes.

Banana and Vanilla Pancakes
This recipe came from Cooking with the Diabetic Chef by Chris Smith

2 cups all-purpose flour (I did half white, half wheat and threw in some flax seed)
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 pint reduced-fat (2%) milk
2 large eggs, beaten
2 oz butter, melted
1 fresh vanilla bean
1 banana, sliced
nonstick cooking spray

1. Sift all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until they form a batter. Slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the pulp from the center of the bean. Mix the vanilla pulp into the pancakes batter. Gently mix the sliced bananas into the batter.
2. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat the pan over medium heat. Use about 1/3 cup of batter per pancake.

**I couldn't find a vanilla bean at the store but I also just went to WalMart. I just used liquid vanilla. I'm sure it would have been even better with the real thing. Also, I sliced the banana like the recipe called for but I think it would be better if the banana was mashed.

No comments: