Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wedding Soup

This is a recipe that my sister-in-law Laura (Ralph's wife) sent me. We LOVE it. Everyone in my family likes this. It is a little bit of work, but so worth it.

Italian Wedding soup

3/4 pound ground turkey
1/4 cup cold water
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup finely minced onion
1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I use the normal cheaper kind)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

8 cups chicken broth
2 large carrots, chopped
1 cup orzo or patina pasta
1 (10ounce) package fresh spinach, washed, trimmed and torn into bite sized pieces

Mix first set of ingredients (turkey through pepper) Roll into bite sized meatballs

Put broth and carrots on the stove top and allow to simmer to desired tenderness (I have also added celery at this point). Add pasta (I have only ever found orzo in my grocery store) and let cook for 5 minutes.

Add meatballs and simmer for 10 minutes. (I have used my smallest cookie scoop to make meatballs. The first couple times I scooped and then rolled them so they look nice. The last time I was in a super hurry and just scooped them and dropped them into the soup. They were a little strange looking, but just as tasty.)

Add spinach, stir in and let simmer for at least one minute. It will seem like a TON of spinach at first, but it quickly wilts down and there doesn't seem to be too much.

Serve! Enjoy.

This will feed my family of 5 for dinner one night and for lunch the next day. But we all REALLY like it. My kids will each have at least two servings. And in general they don't eat that much.

One time I added four extra cups of chicken broth and we still gobbled it up, that time I think we had it for two dinners.

No comments: